SIP stands for session initiation protocol and is a technology required to initiate a telephonic communication on data network. This is increasingly becoming as the protocol of choice for telephonic calls. Telecom operators across the globe are switching their network from the age old PSTN network to IP network. The VoIP calls or the communications over various OTT apps like WhatsApp etc are examples of SIP based communication. SIP trunking, besides voice calls, is also used for text, video, multimedia, instant messaging,conferencing and other real-time services.
Before we go to SIP trunking, we need to understand what is trunking. Trunking in telecommunication is a link or line designed to carry multiple signals or lines. A trunk enables multiple calls pass through a single node and connect to corresponding calls at the other end. The name trunk probably came from the visualisation of a tree trunk having multiple branches.
Unlike the PSTN trunks, SIP trunks are delivered over IP or data network using SIP as its underlying protocol. The difference is PSTN trunks do have physical wires for trunking whereas a SIP trunk has virtual lines. However, both use the existing hardware like cable modem, DSL, Ethernet over copper, T1, E1 etc) to connect to their virtual network.
Benefits Of SIP Trunking
Deploying SIP has numerous benefits, simplifying one’s organization’s telecom system, is one of them. But the biggest benefits include the significant lower cost and ease of scalability.
- Eliminate IP-PSTN Gateways : As SIP trunks connect directly to the internet telephony service providers (ITSP) without travelling through the traditional network, one can do away with the IP-PSTN gateways. It can save huge Opex cost.
- Lower Cost : With SIP trunking, the monthly fee to have number of lines installed at an organization can decrease. The DID (direct inward dialling) cost also gets reduced so are the costs of long distance calls.
- Correct No. Of Lines : With SIP trunks organizations can set up telephone lines as per their requirement unlike TDM/T1 where one can add either 15 or 30 lines, irrespective of there is a need or not. On top of that SIP offers unimaginable flexibility when there is a need to add multiple channels. SIP trunks can do it in no time compared to the hassle that old system takes in terms of delay and hardware upgrades
- Phasing Out Old Network : Eliminating a redundant network and setting up SIP trunk is a natural progression towards an intelligent, futuristic communication system.
- Better Customer Experience : SIP trunking provides better customer service by adding more geographical numbers. Moe numbers can be added to SIP trunk and that can be landed on the organization’s IPPBX, thus gives customers more options to call. Also, SIP trunks are location independent. Means, it now becomes easy to relocate one’s office without the need to change the telephone numbers.